Jul 22, 2011

excitement in the Prairie last night....

OK so I know I have been a really bad blogger lately and I promise I will do better next week, its just been one of them weeks if you know what I mean...but I wanted to share this with you because I thought it was pretty crazy/kinda of funny too. My Mom emailed this to me this morning....


We had a crazy evening at our house last night... 

Around 12:30, Rick got out of bed and I realized too that I heard banging- just didn't wake me up until he got up.  At first, Rick thought maybe a friend for Dustin was there, but then Dustin came upstairs to see what was going on.

Rick turned on the front light to see if anyone was there, but there wasn't anyone.  But what happened was the guy left, and when he seen the light on he came back to the door.  Rick could tell that guy was drunk or high, so he never opened the door, but the guy was asking to let him in.  He needed someone to pull him out of the ditch.  Rick just told him we would call for help. 

I dialed 911.  I was still in the bedroom when I heard Dustin say "He just got in my blazer"  Ironically enough, I just crabbed at Dustin when he got home from work about not leaving his keys in his vehicle and about locking up.  The guy left with Dustin's vehicle and drove it over to where his car was in the ditch, between our house & Dave & Judy's. 

Not sure what he thought he was going to do, but then he parked the SUV again, and came to the front door begging to let him in.  When Rick wouldn't let him in, he got vulgar, then left and took off with Dustin's vehicle again.  He drove down to Siever's (they were out of town.. what a bummer.  It would have been funny if he would have knocked on Ralph's door, Ralph is the game warden) and then over to Dave & Judy's house, but not sure that he ever got out of the vehicle.  He drove back over to where his wrecked vehicle was- and finally a cop got there.  Seemed like an eternity!  We were walking and moving from window to window in the house without the lights on trying to keep track of him!

2 more cops arrived and by the time we felt it was safe to go outside, the guy was handcuffed.  We just stayed by the house, we didn't want the guy to see us.  We could see car parts in our driveway, but wasn't sure what had happened.

After they hauled him off, we had to all write written reports about what we seen.  Dustin moved his car back in the driveway and then the wrecker pulled the car out   The guy actually hit our culvert (which deploted the air bags), crossed our driveway, then through our ditch on the south side (how he missed the mailbox and the light pole is amazing), and then went across the road into Wegener's corn field.  Looks like he tried to drive around out there, and then tried to back out onto the road, but got stuck in the ditch.  But this is what it looks like, we don't know for sure.  There was parts of his car hanging off (or gone) in the front, the back, and the bottom!  And with the air bags deployed, the car was a mess.

Needless to say, it was a sleepless night.  Hard to go back to sleep after something like this happens outside your window.  Rick left this morning for Stanberry for his folk's auction.   Rick wasn't very happy about leaving me alone all week-end after that craziness!  I'm just so glad that Rick never opened the door for him, but just talked to him through it.  We did note that this was the 5th time in 12 years that someone has been in our front ditch.  I'm not sure how much more the culvert will be able to take.  We actually pulled some large part of the car that was lodged out of the culvert!

We were told the guy's name was Mike Young, from Red Bud, born in 1978.  But I don't recognize anything about him.  Sounds like he's been in plenty of trouble in the past.  The cop commented that the car was actually registered to his ex-wife and he would go visit her at Handee Mart when she started working at 5am.

Just thought I would share with you all in case you hear about it or in the paper next week.  Hope you are all doing well :)  We are doing fine, just a little sleep deprived!

So pretty crazy don't you think....Rick is not big on living in the country so that is why he is so worried about leaving Mom at home...we are just use to it! Mom later told me that when Dustin came up the stairs that he went and got his baseball bat to give to Rick, just in case the guy would have got in. I told mom that I was pretty impressed with Dustin and his quick thinking!

Hope everyone had a great weekend and nothing crazy happens to you!

No comments: